Delta pet policy
Types of pets allowed: Dogs, cats, and household birds in-cabin; plus guinea pigs, rabbits, and hamsters are also accepted as checked baggage.
- One-way fee of 125 USD/CAD for travel within U.S./Canada, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Puerto Rico (200 USD/CAD/EUR for travel outside the U.S.) with the exception of any travel to/from Brazil which is 75 USD one-way.
Checked baggage: Yes
Weight/Size restrictions: Your pet must be small enough to fit comfortably in a kennel under the seat directly in front of you. Maximum carry-on kennel dimensions are determined by your flight. You must contact Delta Reservations to determine the appropriate kennel size.
- Winter Embargo—November 1 through March 31: Animals will not be accepted as checked baggage on flights operated between Salt Lake City, UT (SLC) and Sun Valley, ID (SUN), Twin Falls, ID (TWF), or Jackson Hole, WY (JAC).
- Summer Restrictions — May 15 through September 15: Pets cannot be checked as baggage on Delta and Aeromexico operated flights.
- Pets are not allowed in the Business or BusinessElite Cabin on certain flights with flat bed seats.
- Animals will not be accepted as checked baggage or cargo on any Delta operated 767 aircraft. There are no exceptions to this restriction for any passenger.
- Health certificate not required for carry-on pet or as checked baggage
- Health certificate required for shipping pet as cargo
- Your pet must be at least 8 weeks old
- You may not carry on more than one pet. Exception: Two pets of the same type may be allowed in one kennel, for example two dogs or two cats. They must be small enough to fit in one kennel provided they are compatible and must be of the same species and size, and they must meet the requirements of acceptance. They will be charged as one pet.
- If you’re traveling to Hawaii, your pet won’t be able to go with you in the cabin, and other restrictions may apply. See Pets to Hawaii for more information.
- Pets are prohibited in-cabin and as checked baggage into Hong Kong and the United Kingdom. Pets may only be brought into HKG and the UK as cargo.
- Delta limits the number of pets per flight, but only one per passenger, to: First class – 2, BusinessElite® – 2, Main Cabin – 4
- For pets traveling unescorted internationally, call 888-736-3738 (Delta Pet First) to book your pet’s travel arrangements
For more information: visit Delta or call 800-221-1212 for flights within the United States and 800-241-4141 for international flights
Please share your pet-travel experience on Delta with The Jet Set Pets’ community in the comments section below.